Regardless of how you ring in the New Year (with lively parties and fireworks or cozy celebrations at home), there is a recurring theme at every New Year’s celebration: to the make this year the best year ever.
“If you get clear on the what, the how will be taken care of.” - Jack Canfield
Here are a few things you can do to make 2018 your best year yet.
First, take inventory of last year. By reviewing last year and all the ups and downs of 2017, we are provided with the map to moving forward into 2018. Reflecting deeply on last year can highlight your successes and – more importantly – the areas most in need of improvement.
Find a quiet room in your house and carve out a bit of meditation time. Don’t be afraid to ask yourself the hard questions; the answers to the hardest of questions will only help you grow. Use a journal to collect your thoughts so that you can refer back to your answers.
- What were the biggest accomplishments of 2017?
- Why were those accomplishments meaningful for you? What did they signify?
- Did you have any regrets? What were they?
- What obstacles did you face?
- What goals did you reach?
- What goals did you not meet?
- What are you not happy with in your life right now? This could be personal, professional, spiritual. Identify the areas that you want to improve, and be as specific as you can be.
- And finally, what was the overall recurring theme of 2017?
By taking the time to review the events of the previous year, you not only have the opportunity to be grateful for all the good moments, but you also gain the knowledge of where and what to improve.
It is only when you know which areas truly need improving (and why), that you can work towards creating the best year ever.