Ask any highly successful person how they maintain their motivation and focus to achieve their ambitious goals, and chances are their answer will be, “daily affirmations!”
I have met countless successful business people, Olympic and professional athletes, NY Times bestselling authors, and visionary changemakers who all use daily positive affirmations to stay energized and focused on their goals, no matter what’s happening in the world around them. They have all told me that their daily affirmations practice has had a game-changing impact on their lives.
Today I’d like to teach you how daily affirmations for success actually work and show you how to write affirmations that will make it so much easier for you to achieve your life goals.
I’ll also answer common questions such as:
“What is a daily affirmation?”
“Are morning affirmations better than evening affirmations?”
“How to write affirmations that work?”
… and so much more!
Simply put, daily affirmations are clear, positive statements that describe your goals as already achieved.
For example, if your goal is to become a bestselling author, your daily affirmation could be something like, “I am so happy and grateful to be holding my NY Times number-one bestseller in my hands!”
Or if your goal is to make $200,000 this year, your affirmation could be “I am so happy and grateful to be celebrating the fact that I reached my financial target of $200,000!”
Sounds simple, right? It is! But it’s also very powerful.
Repeating this kind of positive mantra to yourself every day can have a profound impact on your conscious and unconscious mind.
When you imagine yourself completing a goal, your brain responds in the same way as if you actually HAD completed that goal.
And the dissonance that occurs in your subconscious mind as it tries to reconcile what feels to be true (you have achieved this amazing goal!) with what your brain knows to be true (you actually haven’t achieved that goal yet) – will subconsciously prompt you to resolve that dissonance by taking persistent action toward your goals until your imagined reality becomes your ACTUAL reality.
That’s how powerful affirmations can be – they actually impact the neuroplasticity of your brain and motivate you to become the kind of person who is capable of achieving your goals!
Not only that, recent academic research that shows in high-stress level environments, people who use daily positive affirmations have lower stress levels and consistently experience more success than those who don’t.
So not only do affirmations keep you focused on your goals, but they also eliminate stress as a possible obstacle and allows you to maintain a high level of energy and enthusiasm. This will make it easier for you to stay positive and attract the people and resources you need to make your dreams a reality.
Daily affirmations are to the mind what exercise is to the body.
Repeating powerful affirmations for success can help you eliminate negativity and limiting beliefs that are keeping you trapped in mediocrity and dramatically understand what’s possible, and what you’re truly capable of achieving.
(Spoiler: anything you can imagine!)
Daily positive affirmations help you transform “I can’t” into “I can,” and your fears and doubts into confidence and certainty.
They are your best weapon against defeatist thinking and self-sabotage – and powerful protection against other people’s negativity as well!
Affirmations are reminders to your unconscious mind to stay positive and focused on your goals. By cultivating this kind of success-focused mindset, you raise your energetic vibration and are able to attract more high-vibe opportunities, people, and resources into your life, which in turn makes it even easier for you to achieve your goals!
If you’re new to the practice of daily affirmations, this might sound a bit “woo” to you… but the fact is, this is how the universe works. Whether you know it or not, you are always using affirmations in your life! But they’re usually not the kind of affirmations for success that will bring you what you want.
For example, do you ever catch yourself thinking powerful affirmations like:
“I can’t stop eating, I’m addicted to unhealthy food.”
“I am never going to meet somebody I can love.”
“I never catch a break!”
“No matter what I do, I never seem to get ahead.”
“Why does bad stuff always happen to ME?”
These might be negative affirmations – but I assure you, they are powerful.
When we tell ourselves such things repeatedly, they reinforce our negative perception of the world and prompt us to turn those negative thoughts into reality. So our own harshest self-criticism becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy!
We tell ourselves we can’t stop eating. So we don’t.
We tell ourselves we’ll never find someone to love. So we don’t bother looking.
And we tell ourselves that no matter how hard we try, we just can’t catch a break. And so we give up and stop trying.
The fact is, most people are constantly telling themselves such things all the time!
The only way to liberate yourself from such negative (and false) beliefs is to replace them with powerful affirmations for success that inspire you to show up in a more positive and empowering way. Which in turn will get better results in everything you do.
So your self-fulfilling prophesy becomes your own amazing success story!
Here are my eight guidelines for how to write positive affirmations for success that will make it easier for you to get what you want in life.
1. Start with the words, “I am.” These are the two most powerful words in the English language
2. Use the present tense. You want to imagine yourself being in the moment and experiencing the reality of your goal being achieved. This is what will cause the dissonance in your subconscious that will prompt you to take persistent action to make your vision real.
3. State your daily affirmation in the positive. Affirm what you want, not what you don’t want. (If you can’t understand why, tell yourself NOT to think of pink elephants. What did you just think of? In the same way, if you try to focus on what you don’t want, that’s what you’ll end up attracting into your life.)
4. Keep it brief. Your daily affirmations should be easy to memorize and repeat. The easier it is to remember and say, the easier it will be to visualize your goals – and the harder your subconscious will work to make it a reality.
5. Make it specific. Daily affirmations such as, “I am so happy and grateful now that I’ve lost weight,” aren’t nearly as powerful as, “I am so happy and grateful now that I have lost 25 pounds and am wearing my favorite jeans again!” When your affirmation is vague, your vision will be fuzzy as well. Visions that lack clarity are much more difficult to achieve.
6. Include an action word ending with “–ing.” This allows you to express your affirmation as if you are experiencing it at that very moment. For example, “I am so happy and grateful to be walking across the stage to accept my MBA degree from Wharton University.” The more you can imagine yourself in that moment of walking across that stage, the more powerful your affirmation will be.
7. Include at least one dynamic emotion or feeling word. I often encourage people to imagine themselves as happy and grateful because happiness and gratitude are powerful positive emotions that will raise your energetic vibration and attract more things that bring joy and gratitude into your life.
8. Make affirmations for yourself, not others. For example, saying something like, “I am so happy and grateful now that my husband has stopped drinking,” isn’t going to work because there is nothing you can do to change other people’s behavior. Only THEY can change their behavior.
Here are some more examples of powerful affirmations based on the guidelines above:
“I am joyfully driving my new red Porsche Carrera convertible down the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.“
Or if you are more ecologically minded, you can make that a new Tesla.
You can use the following simple formula: “I am so happy and grateful that I am now …” and then fill in the blank.
Some other affirmation examples could be:
“I am so happy and grateful that I am now working in my chosen field, earning $150,000 a year.”
“I am so happy and grateful that I am now celebrating I have achieved my ideal weight of 140 pounds.”
Or how about:
“I am enjoying living in my beautiful beachfront villa on the Ka’anapali coast of Maui or somewhere better.”
That last affirmation is incredibly special to me.
Because it’s an affirmation I started writing for myself way back in 1989, and in 2011, I actually made that vision a reality!
To get the most out of your daily affirmations practice, take 5 to 10 minutes every morning and evening to repeat your daily affirmations – preferably out loud with high energy and enthusiasm. The best time for your morning affirmations is right after you wake up and the best time for your nighttime affirmations is right before you go to bed.
I also encourage you to keep an affirmation journal so you have a dedicated place to write down your affirmations. Keep your affirmation journal on your bedside table so it’s the last thing you read before you go to sleep and the first thing you read when you wake up in the morning.
Join Panache Desai each weekday morning for support in reconnecting to the wellspring of calm and peace that lives within you and that has the power to counterbalance all of the fear, panic, and uncertainty that currently engulfs the world.
Designed To Move You From Survival and Fear to Safety and Peace. Available Monday - Friday. Meditation begins at 9 AM. Access early to hear Panache's monologue - around 8:30 AM.
...on all things life, wellness, love, transformation and spirituality...
PLUS! Get your FREE Guide: 12 Mindfulness Practices to a Peaceful Mind